Advice is like opinions. Everyone’s got one. Most of the time these words of wisdom come from people who care deeply about your future. Those words of advice are like lighthouses in the darkness that give you a sense of direction.
Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, “Common Sense is a genius dressed in its working clothes.” If we are listening, great advice is given to each of us from successful people.
Many times those words become the values that we live by. Here are a few bits of the best advice I ever got …
- There is no substitute for hard work
- Choose your friends wisely – your priorities will help you find the right friends
- Dress for the job you want to have
- Trust people until they give you a reason not too
- Finish what you start
- Don’t let anyone tell you that you’re lucky, because luck is what happens at the intersection of preparation and opportunity
- You usually get out of something what you put into it
- Don’t give up, don’t ever give up
- Let honesty and integrity define your character
- Listen to others
- Stay true to yourself – be yourself
- Attitude is everything
- Relationships are like bank accounts – make more deposits than withdrawals.
- Be ready to play when they put you in the game – make ’em want to leave you in the game.
- A cheerful heart is like medicine
- Finally – choose your words carefully – they will make or break your relationships, career and reputation
No one can make it alone. Most successful leaders have all taken advice from someone they admired or trusted along the way.
What great advice would you add to the list?